Pages

Monday, August 10, 2009

Bush Camps

As of next week I will be going on weekly 2 night/3 day bush camps with Luke (the teacher-there is only one) and the students as part of a project that involves the students collecting photos and information about bush plants. This information will be then passed onto the elders who will share the traditional medicinal use for the plants. Luke hopes to publish these findings from Docker River to create funds that will go back into the community for future projects.

The camps will be at outstations, which are smaller communities that are so remote that they don’t come under a council. I am told that it is just a tin shed where a three or four families live. We will be sleeping under the stars in swags which will give me a good chance to track stars with my newly purchased constellation map. I am looking forward to story telling time when the sun goes down.

Oh, did I mention that the landscape is Amazing? Although I am not going to be able to do it justice I will try to get some photos up.

Have a good week!

No comments:

Post a Comment