Pages

Monday, August 31, 2009

Which doctor?

Good morning!

I don't have the right attachment for the camera I am using, so for now, you will have to trust that my photos are amazing!

In the mornings I drive the school truck into town (ten minute walk) to collect all of the students (approx ten-on a good day) and bring them in for breakfast before starting class. Today was a little more interesting. I arrived as usual to collect an elder-Naomi. Usually Naomi is doing what everyone else in Docker is doing at that hour, sitting around a fire making tea, not this morning.

Today there were a lot of people pacing around the yard at Naomi's house there was chanting accompanied by exaggerated gestures . I pulled in to see what all the commotion was about and was informed that there was a Witch Doctor in town to perform a healing ceremony on a nephew of Naomi's who was being taken by the 'bad spirits' (I later discovered that these 'bad spirits' were manifesting themselves as a marijuana habit).

Naomi's nephew started walking around the community, trying to escape the attention (and no doubt find a cookie). The Witch Doctor followed him, along with around 30 other people, oh and me, trailing in the truck, trying to entice the students in with promises of painting and pottery at school! I got 2 in the end, a win by anyones standards!

Lots of love Shan,

P.S. HAPPY HAPPY BIRTHDAY to the lovely Lucy McAlary! xxxx

No comments:

Post a Comment